Your Challenges Are Our Top Priority

Modifying A Child Support Or Custody Order To Address Life’s Changes

Many people are happy to leave a divorce and custody battle behind them. However, sometimes circumstances change that make your current child custody or support agreement difficult to maintain. When this happens, you can petition to modify agreements in certain circumstances. Working with an experienced attorney can streamline the process and help you move forward.

At McKinnish Law Group, our Knoxville attorneys have decades of combined experience helping clients achieve the post judgment child custody and support modifications they need. Whether you recently lost your job, got remarried or need to relocate, you can trust our lawyers to diligently fight for your best interests.

Understanding The Grounds To Petition For A Modification

Like with all child custody and support decisions, the best interests of the child will always be the priority. In Tennessee, your petition must prove that your circumstances have changed and no longer reflect the prior custody or support judgment.

There are various reasons to petition for a modification, including:

  • Change in employment
  • Change in income
  • Health problems or disability
  • Substance abuse
  • Remarriage
  • Change in physical parenting time

For the court to grant a post judgment modification, both parents must agree to the change, or one must prove the change in circumstances. If you disagree with your co-parent, you can fight the petition on the grounds that the reasons for the petition are not valid. Grounds to fight a modification can include voluntary increased costs of living, voluntary decrease in income or loss of employment, voluntary bankruptcy filings and the age of your children.

Helping You Protect Your Future

Our attorneys at McKinnish Law Group have an established reputation for our commitment to helping our clients through life’s challenges. We understand that any concern related to your children and finances needs to be taken seriously. We will always approach your case with the respect and compassion you deserve. To schedule a consultation, call us at 865-229-9854 or complete our online contact form.